Photo from 8ball.
I’m regularly being asked about the conversion stats for User Generated Content and the barriers to entry/what prevents users from uploading content.
Here’s an amazing article from Facebook which discusses A/B testing and their barriers to entry.
- Out of 100 people that try to upload a photo to Facebook:
89% reach the starting point – the photo uploader.
58% select the photos they want to upload.
57% actually press the upload button.
54% succeed in uploading photos in one shot.
70% of people eventually succeed by the end of the day.
- The last time Mosseri gave the talk, only 48% of people succeeded in uploading photos in one shot.
- There is incredible anxiety for users in updating their status:
Out of users that enter three or more characters into the status update box, 17% don’t post anything at all.
- “That’s one in six people who attempt to post something but don’t,” said Mosseri. “That’s pretty crazy.”
- There are “way more people using Facebook on feature phones than smartphones,” but those using smartphones are “way more engaged.”