Mary Meeker’s latest annual Internet trends report has been released, and it’s as insightful as always.
New sections for this year include:
- A new section on the ethics of data usage and regulation
- Interesting sections on healthcare (expenditure by country, and their focus on preventable deaths); and China (the move from manufacturing, and the totally different user experiences, such as live streaming for ecommerce)
- New section on education – US university enrolments falling, with online increasing
Here are my highlights (aka abbreviated research notes):
- Slide 25: [USA-based] advertising purchasing is moving to Amazon/ Twitter/ Pinterest (basically, moving from Facebook or Google at a quicker amount than they are growing)
- Slide 28 & 29: Balancing Customer acquisition cost with Life Time Value!!
- Slide 32: Drive conversion from freemium (Spotify & Zoom), rather than seeking new customers
- #51: Echo devices doubled last year to 47M. There are now 90,000+ skills for Alexa. Why? How are they promoted?